What to do on Lopez
Lopez is ideal for the self-directed visitor. You can walk along the beaches and trails of the State and County Parks and other natural areas, go fishing, boating, kayaking, biking, or grab a pair of binoculars and observe the ever present wildlife. A good book is always a great idea, as is a visit to our nationally recognized library. Look back in history with a visit to our Historical Society Museum or the restored Port Stanley Schoolhouse. You can do as much or as little as you wish to do.
People differ in how they like to enjoy natural areas. Those who prefer nearly complete solitude and having the beach all to themselves, should plan to visit our natural areas before 11am or after 4pm. Between those times you can count on sharing the sights and sounds with others, sometimes many, depending on the day of the week.
In the Village:
- Browse the book store, shops and galleries in this walking village.
- Saturdays May thru September, enjoy the eclectic choice of wares from the many local vendors at the Farmers Market.
- Buy yourself a treat from the bakery or visit our many village restaurants and sit outside to take in the local flavor.
- Get an ice cream cone or hand made fudge for another treat.
- Follow the trail of the Weeks Wetland Preserve and enjoy the tranquility of Fisherman Bay and its wildlife.
- Take a beach walk from the stairway by the Haven Kitchen and Bar or just sit on the steps and watch the boats sail in and out of the bay.
- Look back in history by exploring the exhibits at the Historical Society Museum.
- Hunt for treasures and bargains at the Thrift Shop located at 60 Tower Drive
- Visit our beautiful Library
- Stop by the Visitor Center office for maps and more ideas!
Around the Island:
- Rent a bike or bring your own for exploring the rolling countryside and open farmlands.
- See the seals and sea lions at Shark Reef Park after walking in on the beautiful wooded trail.
- See more tide pools and climb the rock at low tide when you visit Agate Beach Park.
- Visit the picturesque Center Church and the Lopez Cemetery.
- Play a round of Golf at the Lopez Golf Course
- Rent a Kayak or bring your own and paddle in protected Fisherman Bay or explore the more dramatic shoreline of the island.
- Attend a performance at the Lopez Center for Community and the Arts.
- Visit our many Galleries and Studios around the island.
- Enjoy visiting 2 more local restaurants located on Fisherman Bay
- Play a round of tennis at the 4 public courts
- While you’re on the south end, stop by the Southend Market and Restaurant for gas, a bite to eat or to check out their display of local artisans.